Just A Scratch

Recently I made the time to return to one of my early ideas which was to create negatives by removing some sort of black coating (paint, pigmented gelatine) from a film base, by brushing with hot water for example. This time though, I exposed sheets of photographic film to the light and then developed themContinue reading “Just A Scratch”

Bits and Pieces

This first image is of a lumen print that I slowly re-developed in dilute developer and then toned in selenium. I would have preferred a longer initial exposure, and a stronger second second development, but it’s nevertheless intriguing to see how mixing and altering existing processes can yield unique results. I started using a redContinue reading “Bits and Pieces”

More Enlargements

Continuing the series of brushstrokes made to be enlarged, I changed the framing so that the image is a black square with a white border, which gives the print a different, tidier feel. There are 576 strokes on each enlargement, each occupying a 5x5mm square on the original.

CMY Hand-tinting

As another variation in how I am producing prints for this series, I painted an image on film for the purpose of contact printing, and then printed it on semi-matte fibre base paper which is suitable for hand-colouring with watercolour paints. I wasn’t thrilled with the result, but at least I transferred the idea fromContinue reading “CMY Hand-tinting”

Form Follows Function

Here is another example of an enlargement from my series of painting-realistic photographs, made on 50x60cm photographic paper. Each different process throws light on the subject in a new way, and in turn presents with it a branch of exploration that is specific to the process and its parameters. Some things work better small andContinue reading “Form Follows Function”