Here is an update about my findings and working methods after 2 months of working on re-creating a user-friendly version of the collotype process. Highlights Firstly, in order to tackle the problem of not being able to achieve white highlights, I created an unsensitised plate (simply a gelatine and water solution poured onto resin-coated photographicContinue reading “Rediscovering The Collotype Process – 2 Months On”
After some time using Das as a sensitiser for the carbon transfer printing process, and now more recently for collotype I thought it might be useful to share my experiences with others, with the idea of eventually producing a complete video tutorial that would allow a complete newcomer to the process to be able toContinue reading “Defining Standard Recipes For Carbon Transfer Tissue Glop Using Das (Diazidostilbene)”
In anticipation of shutting down my darkroom and moving to a new house, I’m trying to make a print every day, mostly focusing on 50x60cm posters, which will later go up on my shop. I already have mapped out where my work is going in terms of content and the techniques involved, so not beingContinue reading “Dark Times”
I’ve been really busy this month juggling many different ideas and projects, most of which I have yet to share, but for now I’ll leave you with these two prints from last week.
Recently I made the time to return to one of my early ideas which was to create negatives by removing some sort of black coating (paint, pigmented gelatine) from a film base, by brushing with hot water for example. This time though, I exposed sheets of photographic film to the light and then developed themContinue reading “Just A Scratch”
I recently made some masks for my 13x18cm film holders to allow me to shoot square format for a change. Using an actual camera to make photographs was a nice break from other techniques I’ve been using in my recent work, and I was reminded of how I have always been interested in interacting withContinue reading “Large Square Format Photography”
I’ve been simultaneously working on multiple ideas and projects, not just in photography but in general, and recently I feel I’ve improved at putting my ideas to the test sooner rather than later. The featured photo above was made by a process that I dreamt, and then shortly afterwards set out to see how myContinue reading “Something for everyone”
Continuing the series of brushstrokes made to be enlarged, I changed the framing so that the image is a black square with a white border, which gives the print a different, tidier feel. There are 576 strokes on each enlargement, each occupying a 5x5mm square on the original.
Thinking of the (artistic/photographic) process as the subject itself – how different approaches to, and treatments of the subject in the images are perhaps more important than what is actually represented.
Here is another example of an enlargement from my series of painting-realistic photographs, made on 50x60cm photographic paper. Each different process throws light on the subject in a new way, and in turn presents with it a branch of exploration that is specific to the process and its parameters. Some things work better small andContinue reading “Form Follows Function”